Injury Timeline


Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Frustrations

K, so, always, ALWAYS when I post about how great my foot is feeling, I end up putting my foot in my mouth!  That was a metaphor.  

I'm feeling emotional and frustrated, so boom, blog post!

Monday was my first day back from holiday vacation and the first time I was walking around the office boot free.  I work in a building that has 25 acres of property and is 395,000 square feet.  It is a BIG jump from walking around the house, to walking around this gigantic building.  The walk from the parking lot to my desk is at least a 10 minute hoof, and I no longer have my handicap pass.  It was about 20 degrees on Monday morning walking in.  I was trying to walk as fast as I could to get inside the building as quickly as possible, but my "fast" walk is a meager saunter by normal standards.  So, that was really frustrating.  My mind wanted to go faster, my body was trying to push me faster, but my foot wouldn't cooperate.  People were passing me left and right, and going around me, and I just felt defeated.  Then I make my way to the elevator, cram in with 8 different people, and I'm the only one going to the 2nd floor.  I know people are thinking that I'm lazy and should just take the stairs, mostly by people's reaction when we have to make a stop at 2.  So I do my little walk hobble of shame to my desk, exhausted.  I finally get to start my work day!  But everything seems so......far.  Going to the bathroom, running back and forth between meetings, going to the gym, getting lunch and coffee from the cafeteria, then the walk back out to the car.  I got about 7,000 steps according to my fitness tracker.

The foot felt fine yesterday, and last night, pain free.  I was just mainly frustrated because it takes a long time to get from point A to point B, but Rome wasn't built in a day and neither are shattered navicular bones.  Then, I woke up this morning.  I usually have soreness and stiffness when I first wake up, but I was really sore.  And it didn't really go away after I walked around and got ready for work.  Nate told me that I should wear the boot to work, but, I'm viciously stubborn and there was no way that I was doing that.  He was sweet, despite my stubbornness, and dropped me off at the front door of my office so I only had to walk part of the way.  Despite the violent protesting that occurred inside our vehicle about him doing so.

I thought finally walking would be the cure for everything.  It isn't.  Yes, I'm walking around in shoes (well just the one pair that I can so it does offer some interesting fashion choices...whatever..) and I'm so so so so happy about that.  But on the other hand, I'm still a long way off from being 100% again, or at least close enough.  I injured myself over 5 months ago.  I spent 115 days not walking at all.  I started walking with 25% of my weight in October with a boot in crutches.  I weaned to 1 crutch after 3 weeks, then just the boot for 3 more.  I'm finally out of the boot, but how much longer is this recovery going to take?  It feels so long.  Never ending.  There was always a milestone to look forward to:  getting my splint off and into a cast, out of the cast and into the boot, removal of my pins, weight bearing with crutches, no crutches, weaning out of the boot, walking in shoes.  Now, there's just one more milestone left and that is the surgery to remove my screws.  Granted, they've been causing me a lot of pain, and I'm optimistic that my pain and walking will improve once they are gone.  I also will be slapped back into the book for a few weeks after surgery, and that feels like a set back.  But, after the screws are gone, then what?  What's the next milestone to look forward to?  When will my limp go away? When is it going to be as good as it gets?

5 comments:

  1. Oooh I feel for you. I was fairly newly retired when I did my Lisfranc injury in June 2015. Like you I am "sort of " better but no where near where I used to be. Amazingly we are amongst the lucky ones - on Facebook I see lots of people who at 5 months are no where near us. BUT in June/July who would have beleived it would take this long. I remember being horrified that this could prolong until Christmas - and now we are nearly there. Take care

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! Great to hear you are healing (even if we are healing slow)! That is one of the things that scared me most about the injury was reading on the internet shortly after it happened. There were so many people that were having horrible pain years later and it terrified me! I know I'll probably have pain on some level for the rest of my life, but I'm really grateful to be where I am at right now. It seems like those people that had a missed diagnosis or the injury was missed all together have a much harder recovery. I am sure glad for modern medicine and all of the great doctors out that that treat this! Keep me updated on how you are doing. All the best!
      -CC

      Delete
    2. Hi CC, Our Lisfranc journeys continue! My consultant suggested that I do not have the plate out. At the appointment I was expecting a date for it to be removed so quite a shock. His logic as it is not causing me any pain, why move it? Another appointment in January. I just thought I would move more fluidly with it taken out. Will be interested in how you go. Look forward to your next post - post Starwars?!

      Delete
  2. I can totally feel your 'pain'. I did my Lisfranc on July 16th. 110 days or no walking then slowly weaning off crutches and off the boot. 10 days ago I had some of the hardwear removed and was back to no waling. Boy was that tough!! I felt like I had taken a million steps backward:( Back up and hobbling again but I always wonder the same thing...how long until I am back to normal? Will my foot ever be normal again. Thank-you for your post. I have been following it religiously since my injury. It helped a lot, especially since our situations are similar and we were close in time. I also borrowed your phrase Frankenfoot. Lol. Hang in there. :) Shannon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems like we are really close with our injuries! Thank you for keeping up with my blog and I'm glad you found it helpful Shannon :) That was the whole reason I started this journal. It is so helpful to talk to other people and support each other through the process. I am super not excited to go back in the boot again after being granted freedom the past couple of weeks. But I keep telling myself that I did 3 months of this crap, what is a couple more weeks? Ah well. I'm hoping in a year or so I am looking back at all of this as just a memory.
      Loved that you used Frankenfoot hehe! I will keep on blogging, even if there's nothing great to report. Let me know how you are doing and how it's going! I love to hear the progress stories!

      Delete