Injury Timeline


Monday, January 4, 2016

6 Months

Happy New Year everyone!

It's officially been six months since my injury, and I'm just a couple days away from it being six months post-op from my original surgery.

I had my stitches removed from my third surgery a week ago.  I've definitely had mixed emotions this past week, and spent quite a bit of time (in my husband's words) blubbering.




The most intense round of blubbering came while we were watching the Spartan World Championship.  Amelia Boone was on there, blubbering about her own knee injury and how it knocked her out of the championship last year, how she had to avoid social media, and all that went along with her injury.  It brought back some familiar feelings that I had when I first injured myself.  So began my own blubbering.  I just really, really, really miss the way I was before.  I miss doing the things I love, like hiking and racing, being outdoors and being active.  The past 6 months have been so hard, and I just want to have this behind me.  But this lisfranc injury keeps nagging at me like a frustrated housewife!  I  know that I'll get there eventually, but I sure am running out of patience.

I also finally got to ditch the boot as of December 28th.  My foot was still feeling pretty sore at that point, 2 weeks post-op.  The doctor is hoping it is just residual pain from the hardware removal surgery or skin irritation from the incisions and sutures, but we can't know for sure yet.  He also explained my prognosis, and that I may need another surgery in 8-10 years to fuse the joints once post-traumatic arthritis sets in.  He advised me to go as long as possible with the pain as I could to put off that surgery as long as possible.  I could need a surgery before then, I may make it 15 years, or I may never need another one.  Really only time will tell.  The more supportive of a shoe I wear, the better my foot will feel.

I've been cleared to do the stationary bike (which I've been doing a few times a week already), the rowing machine, and the elliptical.  I absolutely detest the elliptical.  I think it is the worst machine in the gym, is not an efficient way to work out or burn calories, and is not natural movement for your body.  But, I'm happy to be able to do another machine other than the bike, so I'll suck it up.  I can also do swimming, since it is a completely non-impact exercise.  My next check-up is in 2 months, and my instructions until then are to continue wearing my Superfeet inserts for arch support, stick to non or low impact exercising, and listen to my foot for pain. He did say by early spring, I should be ready to do some hiking!

I'm still not as pain free as I would like to be.  I have some degree of pain with every step, and I'm still limping, especially if I try to go too fast.  So slow, small steps are the key if I want to walk limp free.  I have a little more pain than I did pre-surgery, although it is a different kind of pain and in different areas.  And my left hip has been really hurting.  I still can't really come up on my toes - it is way too painful - so I can't roll from heel to toe properly yet.  I'm sure that will come with time.  It's just hard to reach stuff on the top shelf!




For Christmas, I got an awesome pair of slippers with built in arch support from the hubby! He is so thoughtful. It has really made things nice walking around the house.  I don't have to be confined to my tennis shoes.  They are super comfortable, and very supportive, although, not the cutest on the planet. They kind of look like if an Ugg and a Croc had a baby.   But I've long sworn off cute shoes.  I'd welcome any suggestions any of you have for a dressy orthopedic shoe!


I am traveling next month for the first time since my injury.  I'm definitely anxious about that.  We are going to New Orleans to see family, and for Mardi Gras.  I know it will be such a fun time, but I know that there will be lots of walking and standing.  I have 4 weeks for my foot to get stronger, but I'm not sure how much stamina I am going to have, and that's scary to me.  I don't want to be worrying and thinking about my foot the whole time.  Nate and I went to the mall for some post Christmas shopping, and I didn't last very long before I was limping significantly and needed plenty of rest stops.  According to Nate's Polar M400 (I forgot my Jawbone on the charger) we did about 3 miles at the mall!

It was nice to be able to reassure and comfort my husband for a change.  After our mall trip, I could tell he was frustrated/worried about my foot, and if I'd ever heal.  I know I'm going to heal.  It's going to take a while, but I assured him that I will get better, and we just have to be patient.  And, if worst case scenario, this is as good as it gets, I will make it work!



No comments:

Post a Comment