Injury Timeline

Monday, June 29, 2015

1 in 55,000

What exactly is a LisFranc injury?  Thanks to the internet, I found lots of scary things to trigger my anxiety.  I found out that my injury is pretty rare.

"The incidence of Lisfranc joint fracture dislocations is approximately 1 in 55,000 persons each year.  Thus, these injuries account for fewer than 1 percent of all fractures."

Yay, I'm special?  I got the pleasure of experiencing this rare gem of an injury.

I also learned a lot about foot anatomy.

The midfoot consists of five bones that form the arches of the foot (the cuboidnavicular, and three cuneiform bones) and their articulations with the bases of the five metatarsal bones. Lisfranc injuries are caused when excessive kinetic energy is applied either directly or indirectly to the midfoot and are often seen in traffic collisions or industrial accidents.[4]
Direct Lisfranc injuries are usually caused by a crush injury, such as a heavy object falling onto the midfoot, or the foot being run over by a car or truck, or someone landing on the foot after a fall from a significant height.

A significant height.  That was me.

The first thing I did on Monday was call the Orthopedic surgeon that my ER doctor recommended.  He wasn't able to even meet with me for a consult until next week.  I called around to several specialists recommended by family and friends, and simply due to the 4th of July holiday, most schedules were completely booked.  The soonest I could be seen was next week.  For a consult.  I knew nothing about this injury, it's prognosis, recovery time, surgery, etc.  I could not sit around waiting almost 2 weeks just to talk to a doctor.  I went into full blown meltdown mode.  The thought of being completely dependent on my husband for simple tasks: going to the bathroom, bathing/showering, carrying anything to and from any point in the house to the other, getting in and out of the house (we have stairs at all entrances) was a terrifying, horrible, and frustrating thought. The last thing I wanted to be was a burden on other people.

The hospital had given me crutches.  They were really, really hard to get around on, and I was still SO sore from doing the Spartan race, that it was painful to move even just a few feet on the crutches, let alone trying to travel all the way down the hall to go to the bathroom, or navigate the 2 steps we have in the garage.  My husband, to the rescue again, called a medical supply store downtown and arranged for me to rent one of those wheely, knee scooters.  I tried it out, and was SO relieved at how much more mobility it offered me.  The tears had stopped, for now, at least, and I enjoyed riding around on my scooter outside.

 Of course, boys will be boys, and Nate just had to take a test drive.  He is not injured.

My amazing husband also called the TOSH Orthopedic Specialty Hospital and convinced the receptionist to slot me in for an appointment with a foot and ankle specialist on Thursday.  THIS week!  She'd said that the doctor would be double booked, and we'd most likely be in the waiting room for a couple of hours, but he'd see me.  I didn't care.  I'd be seeing Dr. Drew Van Boerum in THREE days.  Hooray!

For now, I am binge watching anything I can get my eyes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment