Injury Timeline


Wednesday, July 1, 2015

I Workout!

A little bit about me, pre-injury, as I wait for my appointment at TOSH.

A few years ago, I weighed over 215 pounds, but finally got my life together both physically and mentally with exercise a healthy diet.  I firmly believe that being healthy isn't a diet.  It's not a race with a finish line.  It's a way of life, and that's the only way to have long term success.

Sure, I started out just walking around the block and on the treadmill.  Then I started going to fitness classes at work, just for a way to have fun and incorporate more exercise into my life.  I started doing Yoga, Zumba, Step & Pilates.  I had lots of fun with the classes and the people that I met there.  I just started to build upon my fitness platform, and found myself strength training, and lifting weights.  I also started to take advantage of our beautiful scenic Utah, hiking in the summer and snowshoeing in the winter.  I eventually ended up as what I affectionately call a "gym rat," working out at least 5 days a week and feeling a whole lot better about myself.

The diet part was much harder to embrace than the exercise part.  I love food.  I love to cook food.  But, I found ways to introduce changes, a little at a time, that made this transition easier.  I also learned that I can make really healthy, delicious, and flavorful food without all the crap.  And, it was husband approved.

I managed to somehow inspire my husband to join me in my lifestyle change, and together we have lost over 100 lbs, and still counting!  He's now in much better shape than I am (damn the male genetic make-up!) and stronger - which he assures me is just "science"- but we tend to seek out active weekends and things that we can do together.  That's what is making this injury ever so painful.





I was feeling down and I desperately needed some physical activity, so I did about a 15 minute upper body workout at my home gym.  I was going so crazy!  With one leg, I could still manage to do tricep dips, bicep curls, push ups and several core workouts.

No comments:

Post a Comment