Injury Timeline


Sunday, August 2, 2015

Scooter Girl

While I certainly love riding around on Trumpy (remember, the name for my scooter), it certainly is a conversation starter with strangers.  For those of you that don't know me, and maybe it comes as a surprise for those of you that do, I am a very introverted person.  I am incredibly shy and often cringe at the thought of new social interactions.  Once I befriend you, however, you'd never know!

So, when I'm riding around on Trumpy out on one of my adventures (remember, these are things like grocery trips), I am constantly getting stopped by people.  Some people just want to ask about the scooter itself.  An elderly couple approached me in the parking lot of the grocery store, and the man was nervous about using crutches because he had to have toe surgery and would be non-weight bearing.  I talked to him about where I got my scooter and how I liked it a lot better than crutches, and think he'd be able to handle it.  I gave him the place of the medical supply store in Utah where I'd originally rented mine.  He said he was glad he'd came over to talk to me and got my opinion on the scooter.  I felt like I'd done a good deed for the day!

Sometimes, this causes me to make new friends.  A cashier at the grocery store that I frequent almost weekly, gave me props on all of my scooter pimping.  She said that she had to have bunion surgery and was also non-weight bearing for three months.  We shared scooter stories (hers wasn't nearly as cool) and she showed me her foot scars from a year post op.  We talked about the dangers of crutches and various other hazards only having 1 leg and limited mobility can cause.  We also talked about the surgeries themselves and how painful (mine) and painless (hers) they were.  All while in the checkout line!  I'm sure she'll remember me next time she sees me, as will the other grocery store patrons....I'm scooter girl.

I also get lots of stupid comments.  Like, "WOW you must be having so much fun on that thing!"  Yes.  Yes, I'm having the time of my life.  I can't walk.  I have to rely on friends and family for mostly everything.  Stairs?  Forget about em.  Going to the bathroom and taking a shower?  Pain in the ass.  Yes, this is the most fun I've EVER had.  Glad you've reminded me of this fun-ness.

However, this also warrants plenty of unsolicited advice, and this annoys me.  While celebrating my mom's birthday dinner at Texas Roadhouse, we were seated in an out of the way section so that I could have a place for Trumpy.  There was this older man and his wife sitting across from us in another booth.  As we were leaving, he came over to talk to me, and proceeded to give me a lecture about drinking alcohol with a broken bone.  Look, I was having a small, overpriced cocktail with my steak dinner, and which by Utah standards, has less alcohol content than a sip of Grandma's cough medicine.  Not boozing it up like a silly college girl.  He told me a story of some friend who had to be in a cast for twice as long because he drank and how it stunted the healing process.  While I do appreciate the concern, if you don't know someone or their particular situation, you may find that they don't want your advice, no matter how helpful you are trying to be.  I take really good care of myself.  I'm still (carefully) working out with a broken foot to keep my heart healthy.  I'm taking hordes of vitamins and supplements to stimulate bone growth and healing.  I eat tons of fruits, vegetables, and protein to fuel my body while in recovery.  Who are you to judge?

Then again, maybe he did think I was boozing it up like a silly college girl because of the company I was keeping.  Since it was my mom's birthday, they gave her free ice cream and had her get on some sort of birthday saddle (remember, introvert....cringing) and hooped and hollered to the whole restaurant about it.




As much as it triggers my anxiety when a stranger approaches me, I try to see the good in it.  Whether that is giving someone advice (who's actually seeking it), making a new friend, or taking the opportunity to practice patience with others.


1 comment:

  1. Would love to hear how your doing now. Had surgery in March and I'm struggling to come back.

    ReplyDelete